Thursday, October 4, 2012

Grade 2 Home Reading

Tonight your child will come home with a Home Reading Package.  These are due back by Wednesday of the following week.  Within each package will be an assignment that also needs to be fully completed and returned. The assignments will focus on strategies that we work on in class, or are practicing in Guided Reading.

In each package, there will be two books.  One book is my choice ~ all students will receive a Franklin book for the first few weeks.  This is not necessarily a book your child can read alone, but I encourage you to read this with your child.  If your child is able to read parts of the book, that's wonderful.  If not, allow your child to follow along, and read the words they know.  Even if they only know a few words from a sentence, get them to read those words with you.  This book is meant to be shared with an adult.

The second book will be chosen by your child.  I want the students to focus on finding books that "fit them". It should be a book that they can read comfortably, with only a few struggles while reading.  I again encourage you to read this with your child, ask questions, talk about what you read, etc.

I also teach the children that books are meant to be re-read.  Not only does that build fluency and stamina in their reading, but it also builds confidence.  Good books can be read over and over again ~  I explain to them that I have books I have read 10 times because I love them so much!

Please do your best to read each night with your child.  Some nights they can read the book themselves, other nights you can read to them.  I know that schedules get busy, but I thank you in advance for the time you will put towards this.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment